Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Done my Chainmail!

Sort of want to post pictures, but I mostly just want to show up places wearing it. I hope they make a lot of movies set in fantasy realms (or the past; I prefer fantasy realms). I'll be that guy!

I also cranked out some bracelets which really rock. Three were made in totally and I gave two away to awesome people. Might post pictures of the one I still have left. We shall see.

All in all, it was a fun, relaxing and rewarding experience. It actually helped me get through some tough times. There is a week of my summer known as "Hell Week". You literally have no idea how bad that week was. I swear to god, making chainmail bracelets saved my sanity. I am not in an asylum because of them, and they make great gifts!

Also, I figure I should link the two sites which really got me started and continue to be incredibly useful:
  • CG Maille: Awesome site full of tutorial and know how. The big thing is they really show you how to make good weaves with easy to understand diagrams that look beautiful.
  • Chainmail Basket: Really good knowledge base for tools, technique and unorthodox projects. I still really want to make a cube.
Also of note, don't do what I did and buy wire from home hardware. It's like 10 bucks for 150 meters. This project used about 500 meters and that get's expensive. Go to a farm supply store and buy electric fence wire. It's the same stuff, but 10 bucks will get you at the very least a mile. Then you can probably sell what you have left over for like 8 bucks.

-Liam

P.S. Next project - bean bag chair. Anyone have a sewing machine I can borrow/use? Anyone know were you can buy the beans?

No comments:

Post a Comment