Thursday, August 11, 2011

Foxlike - Where is it at?

I've been travelling at bit and haven't had too much time to work on it, what with currently being in Belgium and all.

The stuff I have been working on has been mostly internal.  I'm currently converting everything to run at something other than 60 fps.  Previously I used a very explicit timing method of basically assuming every computer could pull of 60fps and then limiting the fps to 60.

This is somewhat untrue and on some computers - my netbook - Foxlike really doesn't perform like it should, so I'm currently revamping everything to update based on time elapsed.  This means that pretty much any computer will be able to run Fox-like pretty well. It's not a very exciting change, but it really should happen sooner rather than later.  The end result will be pretty cool.  If you have an awesome computer, your performance will be smooth as can be.  If you have not such a good computer, than it will still be playable.

The next bit will probably be to improve how my objects are stored and used in collision detection.  The current algorithm is pretty amateur, and I can think of a few ways to make it much better.  Doing this will probably require another layer of abstraction - woot!

So for the next while Foxlike will be all about black triangles.

-Liam

1 comment: